Pages

Wednesday 30 April 2014

29 April 2014

I wasn't well last week, hence no show. So you can have it this week instead.

Joy Division - Transmisson
Their debut single from 1979 and still sounding great. I play that as I went to see Half Man Half Biscuit at the Picturedrome in Holmfirth, they played this and it brought the house down.

Malka Spigel - Tall Grey Buildings
From Tel Aviv, that's quite sublime. Don't know a great deal about it, but I'll keep my ears open for anything else, that's for sure.

Gusgus - Crossfade
To Reykjavik now for some electronic dancey type stuff. Really good, that. The album is Mexico and is coming soon.

Cover Version Corner
Dave Sudbury/The Unthanks with the Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band - King Of Rome
A true story. There are a number of versions knocking about, and I've only recently got round to listening to Dave Sudbury's original. The Unthanks performed it with the Brighouse and Rastrick band at 2012's Radio 2 folk festivals. Quite brilliant. Now I think I've got something in my eye, so I'd better play a record and fish it out.

Cate Le Bon - Sisters
The third single from the album Mug Museum which came out last November. It's taken me a while to get into it, but this is my favourite so far.

De Lux - It All Works All The Time
From the album Voyage which came out three weeks ago. And jolly pleasant it is too.

Joanna Gruesome - Anti-Parent Cowboy Killers
One of my favourites around at the moment. This is the latest from Weird Sisters which came out late last year. Nice title.

Edwyn Collins - Gorgeous George
Taking it back to 1994 and from the album of the same name. Always worth a listen.

Young Knives - White Sands
I've little doubt these are the first band from Ashby-de-la-Zouche we've had on. The album is Sick Orange which came out this month. The first release, Klapp Klapp, got lots of publicity, but I wasn't keen. This suggests that early conclusions may have been hasty.

One Degree of Separation
British Sea Power - Monsters Of Sunderland
The Strokes - New York City Cops
British Sea Power from the album Machineries Of Joy which came out about this time last year and the Strokes from back in 2001 from their debut album Is This It. It could be many links. Denis Smith managed both, Marco Gabbiadini played for both, but let's just settle on it being songs with football clubs in the title.

Sonic Youth - Dirty Boots
I've always liked Sonic Youth and I'm just about getting back around to listening to their back catalogue once again. This tends to happen every couple of years or so. Well worth the effort anyway.

Eat Lights, Become Lights - Heavy Electrics
There's a lot going in there. It's a couple of years old, but fresh to my ears. I shall certainly be seeking out more.

Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up To Dry
Superb track, among my very favourites. Seven years old now, off the album Robbers And Cowards, but still sounding great.


Back next week with more of the same.

No comments: