Pages

Monday 11 February 2013

11 February 2013

Back to normal this week.

The Black Keys - Tighten Up
John: We've had these a couple of times before. This is another from their smash hit album 'El Camino' which came out in 2011. I could just play the whole album one week and not have to plan anything.

Public Service Broadcasting - New Dimensions In Sound
John: We've had these before too.
Carolyn: I like that one a lot. Their stuff is really interesting.
John: We're due an album soon too. 'Educate, Entertain'. Very Reithian.

Cayucas - High School Lover
John: Cayucas being Zach Yudin from Santa Monica and that's off the forthcoming album 'Bigfoot' which comes out in April.

Cover Version Corner
Wedding Present/Toquiwa - Kennedy
John: From the 1988 album 'Bizarro', that's one of my favourite Wedding Present records. Toquiwa are an all-girl 3-piece from Tokyo who have toured with the Wedding Present and are on the same record label.
Carolyn: That's nice and cosy.

My Bloody Valentine - New You
John: Back after 22 years, a new album, 'm b v', came out last week. I found a lot of it not to my taste, but that one I like.
Carolyn: You can't go wrong with a few doo-doo-doos. What were they up to for 22 years anyway?
John: I don't know, but it makes the 7 years for the Stone Roses' 'Second Coming' look positively prompt.

The Knife - Full Of Fire
John: Now I'm expecting this to divide opinion. It's over 9 minutes long and pretty experimental. It's by brother and sister team The Knife who are Olof Dreijer and Karin Dreijer Andersson.
Carolyn: I liked bits. Some other bits didn't work and it was probably too long, but you had warned me and I'm not totally against it.
John: Well that's something. I think it's quite astonishing. Off the album 'Shaking The Habitual'.
Carolyn: We'll no doubt have something less challenging next.
John: ...

Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät - Mä Vihaan Maailma
John: Finnish punk from Pertti Kurikan and his band formed in 2008. The four of them all have some sort of learning disability and work in a not-for-profit music workshop for the disabled. Mä Vihaan Maailma means 'I Hate The World'.

Woodkid - Iron
John: That's something isn't it? Yoann Lemoine is Woodkid, better known for his music videos. This originally appeared on an EP in 2011 and also features on the album 'The Golden Age' which comes out next month.


One Degree Of Separation
Dalek, I Love You - This Is My Uniform
Teardrop Explodes - Treason
John: Two records from 1980. Your connection is Dave Balfe who played keyboards for both acts.

Yacht - Le Goudron
John: That's actually a cover of a Brigitte Fontaine record, reinvented for a neon-filled dancefloor it says here. Yacht are from Portland, Oregon and that came out last year.

Juaneco Y Su Combo - La Cumbia Del Pacurro
John: More Peruvian rarities off the Tiger's Milk label. That's from 1978.

Melt Yourself Down - Fix My Life
John: Jazz/funk excellence. And a flute.

And here's that lot wrapped up into a YouTube playlist.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That Black Keys video is hilarious! I also enjoyed the two versions of Kennedy.